Did you bring with you, Coffee :-)!


Sunday, August 22, 2010

My tomatoes, 2010

I decided o grow some tomatoes this year. along with cucumbers, and some kind on melon. I dug 3 foot holes in this hard California clay. No easy task ether. I have never encountered dirt like this in my life. If ya wet it really good it is manageable. I also did the compost pile... And would you know it. there really are worms here. I thought I was going to have to buy worms. But I do have some. not as many as i want and the are pretty short. about an inch or so. Compared to Michigan's three inch plus worms It is quit a difference

Back yard
The pictures are not great so I may redo this whole thing. But for now here it is








I Have 6 in all. these two in the back out grew they're cages pretty good and I had to build taller and wider ones out of wood

looks pretty ominous doesn't it? These shins a pretty hard. And they are not as sweet as I would have liked. But still better than those I get from the store. I used soil conditioner and manure But no peat moss. Next year I will include peat


These two are in the from yard. there is a melon plant also here. But the plants don't allow the sun to do it's magic. and again No Peat Moss
And have a great skin. And the most sweet so far. I have yet to taste the yellow I planted!

These had fruit early. and I was in Michigan. by the time I came home the stems grew out of the side of the cage so I had quit the mess when I returned. I staked them up the best I could. Then again two weeks latter as needed... I Am hopping this will need no more.
these two did not fair as well They are among roses And it's herd to distinguish what id what... Where as the others over took the roses









But these had only a one foot hole dug and  and it's soil worked with conditioner and manure ... I was a test to see how thing would grow. Next year I will do better and include peat moss

Not a very good blog but it is what it is... And it helps me!

1 comment:

  1. Michael, dear

    I love your blog (this happy one especially)
    Don't stop.

    Love, Lo

    ReplyDelete